Procrastination, while completing the IB diploma program, can and will spell the end to free time and stress-free days. With deadlines constantly creeping up on you and no clear end in sight, if you put off your work, it will never get completed. To further this problem, the IB requires the composition of the EE and IAs, which both have loose time frames and can easily build up until it is too late. For this reason, procrastination should at all costs be avoided. Though, this is easier said than done. Therefore, here are 10 tips and tricks to avoid procrastination:
1. Organisation! Make sure that before starting you have a clear view of what needs to be done and in what order.
2. Smart Goals! Don’t commit to an undertaking which is not possible as this will inevitably fail and demotivate you from completing what could have been done.
3. Schedule! Allocate times at which during which you want to work on a subject and when that time is up, change. The IB requires many different subjects and it is not good to neglect some of them.
4. Respect the schedule! Do not make a schedule to then ignore it- even if the time for the allocated subject has run out, move on. Coming back at the end will be better when you have had the opportunity to cover every topic.
5. Deadlines! If no deadline is set, then make one up so that tasks do not build up. For the EE, for example, aim to have it completed by the return to school for year 13.
6. Take breaks! Working non-stop for too long will reduce the quality of work. Short pauses between topics can help refocus and centralise.
7. Rewards! Reward yourself for a job well done or the pressure will become too great and tasks will seem to give no gain.
8. Start from the top! Begin working from the hardest work- by the end of your study period you will be tired and will not be able to complete work as well.
9. Environment! Work in a distraction- free zone so optimise focus.
10. Mental health! Don't stress yourself too much, and try to have a good night's sleep and prioritise your mental health. Doing this will greatly help you feel motivated to work.
Don't be like this! ^^^